Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Hunger - passage


"I learned to understand Cezanne much better and to see truly how he made landscapes when I was hungry. I used to wonder if he were hungry too when he painted; but I thought it was possibly only that he had forgotten to eat. It was one of those unsound but illuminating thoughts you have when you  have been sleepless or hungry. Later I thought Cezanne was probably hungry in a different way." -Ernest Hemingway, A Moveable Feast.

I thought that Hemingway was very effective in recreating the feeling of hunger through this passage. With the way he made me feel when I read this, I knew that he had felt the same thing. The mystery left at the end of the paragraph feels sincere and leaves me thinking: in what way is Cezanne hungry? Is it a physical hunger or a mental hunger-- a drive?

1 comment:

  1. Good job. Since this excerpt might be read by anyone, you should cite it. For example:
    -- Ernest Hemingway. A Moveable Feast.

    ReplyDelete